Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Off to a great start!

Welcome to the forum where Peak to Peak teachers will share and discuss their experiences mentoring the teachers new to our school. The 2007-2008 induction class is made up of a diverse and talented group of teachers. Some are brand new to the profession and are excited to begin their first jobs. Others have been in the profession for a number of years but are new to our school, and in some cases, to our state.

We finished our three days of New Teacher Orientation today, and tomorrow the induction class will be joined by the returning teachers. Faculty meetings will continue, but the focus will shift off of induction and onto topics more applicable to all faculty.

As Induction Supervisor, it is obvious to me that the mentors are far and away the most important resource available to the new teachers. Based on my conversations, new teachers are feeling welcome, well-versed in P2P expectations, and excited to start school.

I am grateful to all mentors for being willing to share their time, wisdom and experience so graciously. We've come a long way in eight years, haven't we? I also appreciate everything the mentors added to the conversation today in the Backward Design workshop. Many thanks for helping all our new teachers start off on the right foot!

4 comments:

Anita.C said...

The time I spent 5 years ago feels like a blur- there were so many of us new and I know I was so overwhelmed. we hadn't even got a mentoring system off the ground and coming from a diff country was hard enuff.
Well, all I can say is phew! It seems as though every year we figure out a little bit more to refine the process and get the stellar recruits more comfortable in joining p2p. What an amazing job people have done. the mentees have been mentioning to me that they haven't had this feeling of openness before and collegiality to share ideas and it " seems to be in the air".

eileen said...

my first blog experience....yippeee! I just wanted to say that we certainly have come a long way, and I'm thrilled to be a part of this program. Thank you, "Maestra," for spearheading this huge jump in our induction program...

Heather A. said...

This is so cool! Love the blog experience. As I reflect back on our first week of 07-08, I appreciate once again what an incredible group of people I am surrounded by each day! THANK YOU ALL for making a difference!

Adam said...

Maestra, thank you for setting this up for us. We have a great group of new teachers and an incredible group of mentors. If only we had weeks and not days before it all starts. Hang on!